Jun 30, 2011

Fantasy Gold Bond Makes the Big Bucks

As I write this post, a "restored" Gold Bond Lantern listed on eBay has a high bid north of $150.00, with days to go.

I would not buy this. I'd rather have the real thing. But that's me. Apparently someone would be happy to buy this and is willing to toss out a pretty good chunk of change.

So, good on you eBay seller ***j48***. It looks like you do a fine rebuild, repainting like a true Gold Bond. And you state as much in the listing so everybody knows what they are getting. Find a need and fill it, I got no problem with that.

But I would ask one thing: Take out your metal marking letter punch set, I'd use an "F" for Fantasy, a "G" for Gold and a "B" for Bond and give us a nice big FGB on the bottom. That way the same rig won't show up on eBay as an authentic Gold Bond in a couple of months.

1972 200a Coleman Lantern Gold Bond Color Amber Globe
This 1972 200a Coleman Lantern Gold Bond Color Amber Globe is currently at auction, bidding at $152.50 with 14 Bids.
This Coleman lantern auction is ending Sunday Jul-03-2011 18:30:54 PDT
1972 200a Coleman Lantern Gold Bond Color Amber Globe

Follow-up: Auction ended with a high bid of $316.99. Unbelievable!